Whether you’re a first time visitor, returning or local- here’s a list of things to do in Happy Valley-Goose Bay during the summer!
- Take a walking tour of the heart of Happy-Valley with Tour Guide Bradley and one of the other Them Days staff members! On Thursdays they meet up with an elder from their community and you get to hear a lot of fun stories about the developments and history of Happy Valley. The tour is about 3km long and takes about 2 hours for the regular story walk and 2.5 hours for the elder experience. It’s a great way to spend an educational afternoon outdoors and being active!
- After the walking tour or maybe even during the walking tour if time is plenty, take a drop into Slippers N’ Things for all things Labrador! From things to custom engravings and t-shirts to seal skin boots and dream catchers- Slippers N’ Things and their extremely friendly staff have you covered.
3. Once you’re good and hungry after your walking tour and little shopping spree you can head on over to El Greco’s where the pizza is fresh and garlic bread sticks are hot! (They serve other Greek dishes and very yummy poutine as well.) It’s an extremely popular place to satisfy the tummy with the locals!
4. When your stomach is stuffed and eyes are tired after the busy tour you had- you can continue to support local business by booking a room at the Big Land Bed and Breakfast or the Royal Inn for a leisurely sleep.
5. The next morning when you say “Man! That walking tour was absolutely fabulous and so interesting…but my legs are a little sore”- you can head on down to North West River beach and have a relaxing day in the hot sand warm breeze. You can even pay a visit to the Interpretation Center to continue learning more about Labrador, the traditions, trapping and its people.
6. After a busy two days of a great walking tour, good food and a day at the beach- you might be hungry again! For any seafood lovers, Mariner’s Galley is the place to be! Every Friday night they have a full seafood buffet and a delicious menu. When you are nice and full (again), a walk around the bunkers would be a great idea! When leaving Mariners Galley you turn left, walk through the 5-Wing Goose Bay gates, and the road to our bunkers will be your first street on the left thought a set of 2 soccer fields!
7. After exploring the bunkers, you’re probably really curious as to what they were used for, when they were used and what they stored! Well, if you’d like to pay another visit to Them Days, they would be able to tell you all about it and maybe even set you up with an issue or two with all of the information you would be looking for!
Links and Contact for all of these wonderful activities and locations are found below
Them Days Walking Tours
Website & Tour Ticket Information – http://www.themdays.com/?page_id=1037
Tel. – (709)896-8531
E-Mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel. – (709)896-3473
Address – 133 Hamilton River Road
Slippers N’ Things
Tel. – (709)896-5660
Address – 55 Grenfell St.
Big Land Bed and Breakfast
Tel. – (709)896-2082
Address – 34 Palliser Cres.
Website – http://biglandbedandbreakfast.com/
Royal Inn & Suites
Tel. – (709)896-2456
Address – 3 Royal St.
Website – www.royalinnandsuites.ca
Interpretation Center North West River
Tel. – (709)497-8566
Address- Portage Road, North West River NL
Tel. – (709)896-9301
Address – 25 Loring Drive
Website – http://www.hotelnorth.ca/happy-valley-goose-bay-1/restaurant.php